Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sweater Time

Hello again, I have been wanting to post for a few days now but I've been doing a bunch of little things but I now have something substantial going on...sweater things. I've knit two sweaters at this point, but neither were for me, one was a cabled fisherman's sweater for my boyfriend Pat, and the other was a Weasley sweater for my sister's inner nerd. ;) It was awesome. But now I am making one for myself! Weee! I started one awhile back but only got about 2 inches of ribbing done... you know how it is.
I actually have 2 sweaters picked out with yarn ready. I feel like whenever I watch a podcast someone is always working on a sweater or wearing one that they've finished and I always wonder..."why can't that be me?!". I cant wait till I have a whole mass of em. Socks too, but thats another story. 


© Vogue Knitting

So the first one is in Vogue Knitting fall 2010, it is the Smocked Cable Coat by Mari Tobita. The structure and shape of this coat is gorgeous and I think the collar would be great with my short hair. I will be using yarn from an old sweater that I had for awhile but needed a new life. So I took it apart, re-skeined it and it's ready to go.

© STC Craft/Melanie Falick Books

The other sweater is by Nora Gaughan. She is such a great designer and comes up with beautiful unexpected shapes for garments. The Asymmetrical Cardigan (from "Knitting Nature" is the one I had started but I am now going to frog and use a different yarn. I have Cherry Tree Hill peruvian wool in Violet that I think will make the texture on this thing pop! 
I think cardigans of all shapes and textures are essential. I'm big into layering (you never know when you're going to get cold) and I think they also just make me feel like I have complete outfit on. I will probably be switching between the two as I go and will update cha with photos.

 Casting on something new always feels like Christmas, my birthday and the first day of summer all rolled into one. Anyone else with me?! 





Something else I like to do is reuse. I love going to thrift stores and looking for old sweaters made with really great yarn that I can take apart and make new again. I have a little stash accruing of sweaters that are patiently waiting to be remade. Today I -surprisingly quickly- took apart a cotton/ wool/ angora blend and got nice fat cakes of yarn. Mmmm... This will eventually become baby hats! Im digging baby knits right now because they're quick accomplishments, and they're ridiculously cute.


At the risk of writing a novel, I leave with this link to a raw carrot cake recipe by Fully Raw Kristina that I will be making within the next few days! She makes some seriously yummy looking recipes for desserts, soups, salads, and everything in between.


Time to catch up on the podcasts! Thanks for reading :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment