Monday, January 19, 2015

Yarn Bomb and New Years Reflection



 Yarn Bomb

It has taken me awhile to figure out how to exactly share this project with you. I had planned on sharing the essay I wrote for this, as this yarn bomb was my senior project to graduate from Purchase College. I think ill keep it simple though, because my reason for wanting to do this project is fairly simple. I LOVE to knit, and I love to share knitting with others. I also really wanted to work with the statues that are around my town in someway, and yarn bombing is the perfect way to do that because it does not damage whatever you are putting it on.
So I yarn bombed all of these statues in my hometown on Long Island with my hand knit hats and anyone walking past could take one in the hopes that they would pay it forward in anyway they could.
I love yarn bombs, but my only gripe is that they are not useful in a utilitarian way, (everything must be useful to me, its just the way my brain is wired!) so that is where hats were the perfect thing to make for these statues.
I bought the book "Yarn Bombing" by Mandy Moore of the blog Yarnageddon and Leanne Prain of her self-titled blog at leanneprain.com to use as fuel for my fire to keep-knitting-hats. The book features interviews with yarn bombers such as Masquerade, and Knitted Landscape

Yarn Bombing is basically a handbook to do just that, while also giving you the history and the context with which to place yourself in the yarn bombing world. Not to mention all of the pictures, patterns and tutorials. Its a great book to add to your yarn library if you're someone who has always wanted to yarn bomb or even if you're no spring chicken to the game.
It's very liberating (admittedly a little nerve wracking too!) to send your yarn creations out into the unknown.









New Year

So now that its a new year, and that I am also done with college (!!!!) I have no excuse for lengthy gaps of non-blogging time. I was also catching up on some With Mel video podcasts the other day and was feeling very inspired about how she is constantly connecting to other knitters and crafters. This year my goal is to keep blogging and sharing with you guys and hopefully connect with some awesome knitters, spinners, crocheters, or anyone else who's down with the fiber, ya feel? Feel free to comment and add me on Ravelry also. Some of my other goals include designing and publishing at least five patterns this year. And I also want to knit at least two sweaters for myself and finish all the others projects for myself I have started. However I'm not going to get too strict with all of these goals because then they'll probably never get done!


On that note my friends,
Happy knitting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment